Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Do people care about life?

Today as I was driving home, I went to make an unprotected left turn. I didn't see somebody coming straight, and I accidentally went in front of another car. Now I didn't cut him off or anything, but I should have definitely waited just to be on the safe side. If you were a sane human being, you'd expect that the other person would slow a little to likewise make sure that there's not an accident. You know what he did instead? He guns it! He's not going slower, he's actually going faster! And the whole time he's glaring at me with a look in his eye like, "If I hit you, I guess it's your fault, because you went when you shouldn't have!"

What makes a person want to do this? Do people have any consideration for one another at all? I try to resist Aaron's cynical point-of-view, but at times like this I can't help to think that maybe the human race is just fundamentally defective.